April, 2021

Even with the COVID-19 pandemic, trucking must still go on. Carriers must stress that their drivers use common sense not to drive when sick and to take additional sanitary measures when picking up a load, at rest stops, and while delivering. DOT and state regulations still apply such as CDL’s, ELD’s, Drug Testing, Drug Clearinghouse Queries, Driver Qualifications, MVR’s Background Checks, IRP, IFTA along with many other federal and state regulations. IF you need help or have any questions contact us.


The CVSA’s Roadcheck due to take place on May 4 - 6. Enforcement officers will be focusing on Lighting, Hours of Service, and more.

We can now use electronic chain of custody forms for Pre-Employment and Post Accident drug testing anywhere in the country without having to send a paper form.

We can set up the drug test and e-mail the electronic chain of custody form to you.

The information needed to set up the test is the driver’s name, CLD issuing state, license number, date of birth, and the zip code where you would like us to set up the test.

Our office will generally receive the results in 1-2 business days. Paperchain of custody forms can still be utilized. Please contact our office if you would like to establish our drug testing service.

Trucks are being placed out-of-service if their ELD is not operating. If paper logs are being used, make sure that they are complete and up to the last stop.

Medical Certificates will be required to be filed electronically by the medical examiners directly to the states effective June 22, 2021.


During springtime, seasonal weight restrictions are in effect on frost-restricted routes. Axle loads are reduced by 25% on rigid-based roads and 35% on flexible-based roads. Most restricted state highways and county roads reduce axle loading by 35%. Speed limits on frost-restricted routes are reduced to 35 MPH for every vehicle over 10,000 GVW. For Michigan frost law information, call (800) 787-8960 or 517-373-6256. Fines for noncompliance have been in the $1,800 to $4,000 range.


Carriers that pick up or deliver freight with company, owner-operator or leased vehicles in New Jersey must register with the NJ Division of Revenue. All individuals, corporations, and LLCs must comply with the registration process. There is no fee to register as an individual or as a limited liability company; corporations have a $125 filing fee. The state’s Annual Report must also be filed yearly by every company registered.

An annual corporation business tax filing must be made by limited liability companies and corporations. The minimum tax is $500 per year. The state is enforcing this tax on out-of-state carriers and is making them file back taxes. Carriers are having their vehicles impounded for not registering in the state and paying this business tax.

All carriers must notify us of their operations in the state so we can determine the requirements for their company.


The 2020 Pennsylvania Corporate Net Income Tax is due by April 15, 2021. All corporations and Limited Liability companies are subject to the state’s income tax. The franchise tax portion of the tax has been eliminated. The corporate income tax remains at 9.99 percent of the apportioned taxable income. The 2020 tax forms are not being sent out but must be obtained online or by calling the state. For carriers for whom we are filing, we will need the following:

Corporations - pages one to five of your federal tax return for 2020.

Limited liability companies - your partnership return or schedule C, along with your profit and loss and balance statements for 2020.

Any questions contact our office.


Carriers who operate in Canada have an additional tax requirement. A fuel surcharge is being administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) as part of the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act as of April 1, 2019.

If you do business carrying goods or people in or through the provinces of Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Saskatchewan, or the territories of Nunavut and Yukon, you must register with the CRA.

The new program is wholly separate from the International Fuel Tax Agreement. Carriers will have to file separate quarterly returns based on the fuel used in each province. All vehicles over 26,000 pounds will be required to pay the surcharge.

We will need to know which provinces you operate in since there are separate returns for each one.

Failure to register by the following deadlines or start of operations in Canada could result in a $2,000 penalty.

Carriers will also need a Canadian Business Number to register for the tax. There will also be an additional application for a U.S. address.

If you want us to obtain a Canadian Business Number and file the fuel surcharge registration on your behalf please let us know.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All